Sunday, September 4, 2011

Halloween Scrapbook {spell book part 2}



First Step: Find an old distressed leather book (when I opened the first page of the red book, 1944 was hand written in the top right corner). I took an exacto knife to the leather to make it look like claw marks.


Step 2: Use black spray paint to cover the majority of the leather ( I left some of the natural leather exposed to give it more dimension)


Step 3: I applied acrylic paint in brick and terra cotta with a sponge making sure not to fully cover the black base coat (I rubbed cinnamon into the book because I thought it might help with the antique look but it made more of a mess then anything).








Step 4: I cut a piece of burlap or (heavy cloth) into a rectangular shape and rubbed cinnamon into various sections of the cloth. Then let the cloth sit in a tea bath for a few minutes to give it a more aged look.

  • After the cloth dried, the edges frayed naturally which was a pleasant surprise!
  • Use a stamp to spell out the title of your book.
  • On the book on the left, I took a miniature picture frame found in the doll house aisle of Hobby Lobby and sprayed it black (sponged the same book colors over top the black frame). Inside the frame I placed my sister's family vampire picture from last Halloween.
  • On the right book, I used the same foil embossed stickers (sprayed black then sponged the book colors on top) from the Dollar Store that I used on the last Halloween Spell Books. Place a googly eye in the middle of the sticker.


Orange Puffy Pant was used to draw the titles on the spine.
I used more foil embossed stickers and googly eyes on the back of one of the books.



Step 5: Open your "Book of Shadows" and let the scrap-booking begin. Volume 1 and Volume 2 of my Book of Shadows represent my Sister's 1st and 2nd annual Halloween Party.

Each "scrap book page" consisted of first gluing 5-6 book pages together for stability. I created page tabs with masking tape to easily turn the pages.

Place pictures (& stickers) on the pages and let them tell their story.









I'm linking to Get Your Craft on at Today's Creative Craft

craftaholics anonymous
(fall frenzy link party)


Click {here} to see other awesome blogs I link up to!



9 comments:

  1. Cool idea! It's never to early to start thinking of Halloween decorations. And since we're finally having some cooler weather I was just thinking of fall decorating ideas! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea for a scrapbook. I'm sharing this with my daughter who loves everything Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun. What a great way to remember past halloweens

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun!!! i love scrapbook ideas, i would love for you to link up to Tell me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing at www.thestuffofsuccess.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you distressed the books!! It's a fun scrapbook idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super clever.
    i'll be making one for us this halloween season.

    pure awesomeness.
    thanks for sharing!
    freakingcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! Thanks again! Hope to see more from you this upcoming Wednesday!

    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://hermeshandbags.finniwolf.com The search engines aren't able to undergo airborne debris going through the motor. He's an excited youngster who wants to believe he belongs scattered plus latches through to Nakiami because of the girl with been very helpful your boyfriend out of a jam. the entire artificial leather commodities have sewed implementing performance figured out how to combined with transferred faraway from changing times when.
    http://hermessale.finniwolf.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...